Writing has become an important part of our lives. Academic writing is very different from, leisure writing or other kinds of writing. Academic writing is a skill that has to be inculcated in students, at the initial level of classes. It may seem like a troublesome task to some and an enjoyable task to others. Writing is an essential part of the academic curriculum. Students have to learn this skill, in order to pass various levels of education. It takes years and years of practice to master this skill. Students like you must know how to write and what to write in order to score well in several writing assignments.
Do you want to improve your writing skills? If yes, then simply follow the steps below. These steps will not only help you improve your writing skills, but they will also enhance your literary skills. The steps are as follows:
- Enhance your grammar- Before you start writing an incredible content, it is important to first acquaint yourself with the basics of writing. Grammar is a backbone of any language, so if you want to improve your writing skills develop your grammar. By reading authentic books and practicing grammar, you can accelerate the speed of your learning. Look for various portals online that give you, the facility to check your sentences grammatically. That way, you will know your mistakes, and you can work on them accordingly. You must also check the use of, prepositional phrases in your content. A prepositional phrase, establishes a relationship between the noun or a pronoun, and another word in a sentence. The common mistake that most students commit is, using wrong prepositions in a sentence. You need to study grammar thoroughly, to know what to use when.
- Develop your vocabulary- The key to writing quality content is, to use right words in the right place. Students, face difficulty in framing good sentences as their vocabulary is weak. If you want to improve your writing, you will have to build your vocabulary by reading more and more. Adding on, you must be mindful of the filler words. Filler words are the words or phrases that one tends to use, while writing. For instance, “basically”, “completely”, “absolutely”, “literally”, “in the process of”, etc. You need to understand that spoken is English is different, from written English. You must not write the way you talk, rather write the way you are supposed to write. By reading at least one article or a chapter of a book every day, will help you improve your writing skills.
- Simple writing is trendy- Most students think that framing a complex sentence, with flamboyant vocabulary will increase the quality of their content. But the truth is simple sentences, are the best sentences. In order to improve your writing quality, try to make simple sentences. It does not mean that you cannot use good vocabulary in your content. If you know the right word, use it and be careful that you don’t over decorate the sentence. Readers prefer a content that is simple. Hence, if you think that writing big words and a complex sentence is going to enhance your writing skill then, maybe you are wrong. Practice making simple and direct sentences, to get a better understanding on the construction of sentences.
- Read like there is no tomorrow- It is very rightly said in a movie titled “A Dance with Dragons” “A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.” – George R. R. Martin In order to enhance your writing skills, reading is the basic step that you have to take. You will get to know the various styles of writing, and the wordplay by authors. Make it a point that, you read every day. It need not be a whole book, but you can start reading a book. Reading improves the vocabulary and helps you understand the structure of sentences. You can join a readers club to inculcate a reading habit.
- Write every day- By writing every single day, you can keep improving your content quality. Writing will help you understand the use of words, in a sentence. If you do not practice writing, you will not be able to improve. You must practice writing to enhance your vocabulary and construction of sentences. You will be able to organize your writing in a better way with time. It is the best way to express your ideas and thoughts. It need not be an intense writing; rather a page on how your day went, can be a start. So, if you want to get an A on your writing assignment, write every day.
- Join writing clubs, online forums- Another way to help you improve your writing skills is to, become a member of a writing club. By joining clubs and other online platforms you will get in the zone of writing. This way you can work on your skills continuously. You will stay motivated and dedicated as there would be others who would encourage you in the club. You will also discover your writing style in the process.
- Find a writing buddy- Any work when done with two or more people becomes a fun affair. Likewise, having a writing buddy would make writing an interesting activity. There are many students who study in groups which helps them study and learn better. In the same way, you can make a group where you and your friends meet up to write. The writing genre need not be focused on academics. By making a writing group not only will you be motivated, but you would also encourage your buddies too.